Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It Does Exactly What a First Book in a Series Should....Gets You Hooked

Invasion (A C.H.A.O.S Novel) by Jon S. Lewis

(For Young Adults) These types of books are my very favorite genre so I might be a bit biased BUT....what a great first start to what I hope is a lonnnnnng series.  The action starts right away when the main character is introduced to a secret service type agency for prodigy FBI-type prospectives.  His instructor?  None other than Bigfoot who is actually an alien from another planet.  (Very clever and leaves room open for endless fun with a variety of cryptids just begging to be introduced.) As Cole is leaving this intriguing first meeting, his memory is swiped and that's when the real action begins.

All too soon, Cole is forced into a scary adult game when his parents are murdered.  Cole's entire concept of reality changes when he finds out that his crotchety grandpa is actually a superhero, his new friend is someone he actually met before (and beat up) and an entire species of aliens are just about ready to rip open a door between our world and theirs and invade Earth.

Honestly, I loved it from paragraph one and could hardly put it down until I finished every last sentence.  The writing is tight and full of action.  Even though it so obviously a wild scheme, it is also so totally believable.  I absolutely believe the CIA would really hide such things from us (hope that doesn't make me crazy!)  I can't wait for the next installment.  This book is really best for young adults/teens and young boys would probably like it the best.  I will certainly make this a recommendation in my classroom and will keep reading the series as soon as each new book comes out.

1 comment:

  1. On your recommendation, I am downloading this book as I type. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete