Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

If You Like CSI, You'll Like This Book

Pawn (Book one in the Patrick Bowers Files)
The Pawn(Adult Mystery)

The Pawn is a treat for all of us who love that CSI type show.  Mystery, suspense, and several surprises make this a good read.  However, the characterization of the main players pushes this into the great category for me.

Patrick Bowers is some kind of uber-forensic policeman who is struggling to get over the untimely death of his wife.  Left to pick up the pieces, he has thrown himself into a new case-catching a serial killer who is playing a game of chess with live people and there is no capture-only death.  Patrick is also struggling with how very badly he is failing his stepdaughter, a 17 year old girl he really didn't get the chance to bond with before his wife's death.

There are so many levels and plots and subplots going on that it really are rather hard to explain-South Africa, government intrigue, Jim Jones's lost son looking for revenge and some type of scary virus.  Steven James brings it all together in a way that is both relevant and interesting.  I have read hundreds of mysteries and I can honestly say there were a couple of plot twists I didn't expect.  Just when I thought I had it all figured out, a shock would make me turn the page and keep going, ignoring everything around me.

There are at 3 more in the series and I plan to download and read them as soon as I can.  Great first book!

No comments:

Post a Comment