Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Not Deep Enough

Deep Storm by Lincoln Child
(Thriller, Sci-Fi)

I admit to being captured by this book before I even started reading it.  Any hint of 'Atlantis' does that to me.  Alas, that fascination soon turned to boring doldrums and I couldn't wait to be finished with it, finally not even caring what the great mystery was.

Dr. Peter Crane is called to a highly secretive sub-oceanic research facility because of mysterious illnesses that have been reported.  What is causing the illnesses is a mystery that Dr. Crane seems ideally suited to solve.  Unfortunately, it takes him nearly the entire book to figure out what is going on, long after the reader ceases to care.  Reading that far in felt like walking uphill and it just never got any better.  This book was apparently a sequel to another book in which Dr. Crane solved the case and saved the world. 

The book is a mixture of medical, military and scientific thriller--maybe that's why I just didn't understand most of what was going on?  Perhaps you have to be in one of those careers--(I'm trying to give the book the benefit of some doubt!)

This book just wasn't as good as all the hype on the jacket cover and I felt like I'd been taken.  It was my first and last experience with this author.  The ending was by far the best part.  It was a horrifying and thrilling conclusion-I just wish it had come sooner in the page count!

No comments:

Post a Comment