Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Funny Man!

Napalm and Silly Putty by George Carlin

Adult Humor

While I have watched and listened to the great comic, I've never actually read one of his books before.  Shame on me!  I absolutely laughed my butt off (not literally or this book could also go in the self-help section **okay I tried some humor in memoriam).  This book is laugh-out-loud, hold-your-side kind of funny.  There were so many times I simply handed the book to the person next to me and said, "You have to read this!  Now!  Stop what you're doing and read it now so I can turn the page and keep reading!"  He's definitely raunchy and rude so if you're easily offended, Carlin isn't for you.

I wish I could give a brief synopsis of content but it's just so random and stream of consciousness.  If you like Carlin, you'll understand that.  True, some of the book and humor is a bit dated today because it was published so long ago and some technology is changing at the speed of light, but that just makes it all the funnier.  My favorite part was the airport section where everything is misnamed and how crazy the whole airline experience is.  "They mention that it's a nonstop flight.  Well, I must say I don't care for that sort of thing.  Call me old-fashioned but I insist that my flight stop.  Preferably at an airport."  I can only imagine if Carlin could see airports now.  Section after section just reads like a rolling comedy routine. 

Now, I can't wait to read his other books!

No comments:

Post a Comment