Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Hit Me Again

Body of Evidence:  Kay Scarpetta #2 by Patricia Cornwell

Adult Mystery

This was so so different from the first one!  I expected the same basic plot, as is the case with most mystery series, and I would have been fine with that because I loved the first one.  But Cornwell really threw me for a surprise in this second installment.  For a woman (Kay Scarpetta) who is so obviously a control freak, she is really pushing her own comfort boundary to solve this case as a DE of Virginia. 

Scarpetta is called in to investigate the death of a young novelist.  As she begins on what seems to be a clear cut case, she is soon trapped in  a sticky web of deceit that involves abuse, love triangles, secret manuscripts and a family secret that is murky and tragic.  Scarpetta leaves Virgina to chase down the truth and I like the break in the routine.  The ending and plot twists are full of surprises the whole way through and I didn't know what to expect from one chapter to another.

I can tell this isn't going to be a regular murder mystery series but a series about a complex woman using her brain to solve a murder.  Unique!  I have a feeling Scarpetta and I are going to become great friends.  I can't wait to read the next one and get to know her better.

No comments:

Post a Comment