Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Another Amazing Read by Bodeen

The Raft by S.A. Bodeen

Survival

Anything S.A. Bodeen writes, I will read because I know it will be unique and captivating all the way through.  This is an author that is a guaranteed good read.

Robie lives on the Midway Atoll and is returning home after a short visit with her aunt.  She thinks nothing of jumping on the plane for the quick flight.  After all, she's done it dozens of times.  This trip, though, is far from normal.  When a storm hits, the plane goes down.  Robie barely survives and only becasue of Max, the co-pilot.  When Robie awakens next, she is in a raft in the middle of the ocean with no sign of the plane and an unconscious Max.  How are they going to survive?  They have only each other and Max's bag, which contains his journal and one bag of Skittles.

I love books with a twist I didn't see coming.  Spoiler alert--stop reading here if you like great surprises!  This book has my absolutely favorite kinds of characters--the unreliable narrator.  It took me a long time to figure out she was unreliable and then, I questioned everything she said and did.  I had to go back and reread parts.  So fun!  So disconcerting.  It's one of those times you want to turn to someone and ask, 'What do you think is going on?"  This would be so fun for a book club!

I also found the setting of the character's home to be fascinating.  I want to know more about this place.  Everything in the book was unique!  And, a weird question...does anyone else thinking this is Kristin Stewart on the cover?

No comments:

Post a Comment