Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Archaic History

Divide and Conquer:  Infinity Ring #2 by Carrie Ryan

Adolescent Fantasy

So,  I like to think I know a lot about history.  I'm a bit of a fanatic, really.  I read all I can.  I go to museums.  I watch documentaries.  You might even say I'm a history buff.  I could probably run the category dry on Jeopardy.  But I didn't really see what was wrong with the history in this book!  And, isn't that kind of the point of this series?  If I can't figure it out, an adolescent surely isn't going to-unless he or she is a serious history lover of archaic French battles.

Dak, Sera and Riqu are still racing around in time.  Dak is trying to fin his parents, who are lost in time.  Sera and Riq are still trying to fix some time 'mistakes' that have been hi-jacked and possibly have something to do with their own messed up memories.  This time, the three are in medieval Paris and are supposed to stop a Viking invasion. 

My favorite part of this story was the addition of a giant dog (wolf hound or Pyrenees?) to the crew.  A Viking dog who becomes attached to Dak--that should make things more fun.  I hope it's a permanent addition.

The farther this series goes, the more lost it gets.  That's a shame because I really love this author.  For all that, I did like the plot better in this one than the first.  The book is marked as 'transmedia'.  I believe there is some type of website and game that goes with the book.  While that isn't my cup of tea, I am wondering if that might improve the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment