Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Pop Blech

Socs & Greasers:  Behind the Scenes from The Outsiders from Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe

Autobiography

This is a small slice from a larger book, Lowe's memoir Stories I Only Tell My Friends.  It would be unfair to judge the memoir based on this chapter; yet, it was so bad it completely erased any desire I had to read Lowe's memoir.

I read this because The Outsiders has been so important in my life.  It has remained a favorite book of mine since I was a teen; it was the first novel I ever taught in a classroom; and, it was the first time a movie affected me so deeply.  The movie remained a favorite as well.  I was very excited when Lowe started talking about his own personal experiences while reading the book.  I agree with him that much of the beautiful story was left out of the film.  Alas, this part of his tale was brief.  I didn't really care about the rest.  Apparently the most disappointing part of Lowe's whole experience of The Outsiders was that his big moment, his artistic pinnacle as an actor, was completely removed from the final film version. I'm sure the movie would have been so much better with this scene in it. (Use heavily sarcastic voice here.) Lowe's jealousy of the other actors, especially Matt Damon, is so obvious and really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I am not really a celebrity fan so the rest of the "book" was annoying.  It read like one long name-dropping roster.  YAWN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment