Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

A New Detective to Love

The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch

Historical Mystery

I didn't expect much from this book.  I don't know why--maybe because it was a free Kindle download and I have had such bad luck with those.  But, this book, I loved!

The premise of the book is so fascinating and unique.  I've never read anything like it before.  It's a fascinating history of the role of an executioner and the importance of superstition in the 1600's.  Jacob is the town's official executioner and it seems as if he has an unfortunate and unique quality of attracting death.  When a young boy is pulled from the river with a witch's mark on him, Jacob knows he has to act fast or his executioner's cart will be full of accused witches.

I loved everything about it.  I loved the front cover.  It fit the mood of the book perfectly.  Knowing the author is a descendant of a family of hangmen made the story that much more credible--and incredible!  The character of the hangman was my favorite part of this book. And, he's now one of my favorite main characters.  Large and in charge--he doesn't like his job as official hired killer, but he is so good at it.  Plus, he's funny and clever and comes across as warm and someone you definitely want to meet.  The book was full of great characters.  I also loved the hangman's daughter and her love interest.  I can't wait to see more about them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment