Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Friday, December 26, 2014

A Picture Book for Adults--Percy Jackson's Greek Gods

Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan


I've always thought it not fair that the best picture books are wasted on children who are too young to read them and truly too young to appreciate the stories and artwork.  Alright, so I'm a little jealous.  All those marvelous picture books!  There should be something for adults like that.

And, now there is.  Thank you, Rick Riordan.  This huge book is truly a picture book adventure for young adults (or adults still stuck in their youth, like me).  I felt like a little kid again every time I opened those pages. I loved the silky feel of each new chapter. I ooohed and aaaahed over the amazing illustrations.  There was nothing NOT to love about this book.

This book is told to us by Percy Jackson, hero of Riordan's other books.  In this one, Percy tell us the ancient stories of the Olympians and the Titans, going back to the very beginning of Greek history and Greek story.  While I consider myself something of a "Jeopardy"-brain about Greek myth, there were many stories in there I hadn't heard of.  What fun!  It was sometimes hard to tell where Percy was embellishing, so I often had to rush to the computer or other books to read more.  These are my favorite kinds of books--ones that light fuses I have to read more to put out.

The book is a delight from beginning to end.  It would be a good read-aloud for younger kids but is a great Greek myth introduction to older kids and teens.  And, if you're even older than that (like me), you won't be disappointed either.  It's a book to love reading again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment