Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Too Close to the Truth, I Fear

Ender's Game by orson Scott Card
(Teen and above; Sci-fi at its very best!)

This book has been rated of the Top 100 Best Books for Teens by the ALA.  I don't agree.  It should be moved up on the list.  It should be required reading for every politician and educator out there.

It absolutely scared me to death.  In these days of war and technology and educational upheavel and video games, the scenes and characters seemed much to real.  I plunged into it expecting to hate it and hate it I did but for all the wrong reasons.  It is eerie how close the author gets to the very truth of human existence, of humanity.  Ender pulled at my heart the whole way through even while I felt this huge gulf developing between us.  In the end, I was afraid to look away, afraid of what would happen IF I didn't keep reading.

One of the most amazing books I have read in a long time.  I can't wait to recommend it to my classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment