Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

A New Favorite Detective

Nick of Time by Tim Downs
(Adult Mystery)

I am going to wax so eloquent about this book that some of you may think I am the author's mother...or perhaps I have been paid for the review.  Not so!  This is truly one of the best detective stories I've ever read and I have fallen in love with the main character.  (You know, in just that literary way.)

Nick Polchak is a forensic entomologist-a scientist who studies bugs that are attracted to human remains.  Think Gil Grissom of CSI.  He is weird, coldly calculating and excruciatingly odd.  And, about to be married.  Lucky girl.  Nick has to leave Alena, his fiancee, just days before the wedding at he request of a friend who needs help with a murder investigation.  When that friend is also murdered, Nick has just a few days to solve the crime and be back before the wedding. 

Honestly, I wanted to stop reading on page 2 so that I could go back and begin this one with the first in the series (I believe this is the 7th one in the Bugman Series). 

The book was absolutely hilarious-witty and flippant and had laughing loudly at very inconvenient times.  Nick's comebacks and one-liners had me losing myself in the story, absolutely convinced he is too 'real' to be 'fake'.  The realistic characters and a plot that keeps you coming back was just icing on the cake.  I loved the ending and rushed right to my computer to start this series all over again.  Ahh, a new mystery man to love--what a great way to start a new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment