Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Great for Any Teacher

The Journey of the Raindrop by Suzanne Burkett
(Children's; Motivational)
I decided to read this book because of all the reviews that talked about the great motivational read.  However, with my lenses of a schoolteacher, I saw it in an entirely new light.

In summary, it is the story of Little Raindrop, who falls to earth one day. He is startled and fearful and is swept along on his life adventure and misadventure.

This very short story would be a terrific teacher book.  All the time I was reading, I kept picturing lessons on personification, onomatopoeia, story sequencing, the water cycle.....As a motivational story, I also saw amazing lessons on making decisions, being afraid, taking chances, trusting in your instincts.....It would a great aloud, having students illustrate the story as you go or as a reader's theatre, having students read and act it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment