Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Last of the Best

Micro by Michael Crichton and Richard Preston
(Bio-Techno Thriller)

I put this one off for so long because it is his last, Crichton's last book.  It's that same sad feeling I get when a series is ending--saying goodbye to good friends before I'm really ready.  This book was his last unfinished one and so I tried to savor it and just read it in bits and parts but is was sooooooooooooo difficult because, in true Crichton fashion, it just races along.

In this bio-techno thriller, seven graduate scientific research students sign up to go on an exploratory trip to Hawaii to determine if they want to switch from academic research to private corporate work.  When their trip goes horribly wrong, they have to figure out how to survive in a world that Alice in Wonderland never imagined.

This book had moments of absolute horror in it concerning things that are around me every day--pure brilliance!  Just when I thought there was nothing that could scare me, seasoned horror reader that I am, I was wriggling, scratching ad shivering throughout most of the story.  It has caused me to look at the minutia of my world in a whole new way. It is a nail-biter and a breath-holder and had moments that left me absolutely stunned.

My only complaint is towards the end of the book when the prose changes.  I imagine this is because of the new author finishing up (which is another author I love!).  The words and sentences became shorter and more concise, not the elegant prose I was used to.

And, just like that, goodbye, my dear friend M. Crichton.  You have given me countless hours of reading pleasure and will always be in my top favorite spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment