Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

The Sweet Life

Paris, My Sweet:  A Year in the City of Light (And Dark Chocolate) by Amy Thomas
(Adult Foodie Memoir)

I am one of those who love the foodie books--for me, food isn't something that you merely used for fuel.   Food tells a story and this book fits right in with that philosophy.

This is the story of a young woman who gets the opportunity to live in Paris and work.  While there, she indulges in all the glory that Paris dessert cafes have to offer.

One must be a serious foodie for this book, though.  Casual dessert eaters need not apply.  Even those I consider myself a 'foodie', there were many references in the book that were just over my head--too many for me to even try and research so I just skipped over those parts and stuck with the story.  Ultimately, though, that was unsatisfying.  I found much of the book to be just out of my range.  The descriptions weren't enough to make it seem real or appealing to me.  The descriptions of Paris didn't help the story along or the story line at all.  I think one would have to be very familiar with Paris to understand all the references. 

I also found the narrator to be whiny and her big problem of New York Vs. Paris seemed trivial and superficial.  Overall, there just wasn't enough meat here for a memoir although the author does have a very skillful way with words......and eating.......unfortunately, this book just fell short of blending those two loves together in a way that was appetizing for the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment