Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Not a Favorite by My Favorite Author

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Dytopian/Futuristic Adult Fiction

At first, it seemed as if the book were taking place far into the future but the truth (and plot line) was so strange that it made perfect, horrifying sense.

'The Snowman', or Jimmy as he used to be called, is serving as some sort of prophet for an indigenous people who seem to have a completely different reality than he does, almost as if they are from different planets.  Jimmy also seems to know the indigenous tribe's gods....like, personally.  It is these two gods, Oryx and Crake, and their history with Jimmy, that is the story here.  I know that is a bit confusing but, well, so was the book and to give more away would be to give too much away.  I did enjoy Crake's role in the destruction and resurrection of the book's society but that part comes so late, it doesn't save the read for me.

Atwood is one of my favorite authors and I was sad that I didn't enjoy this book one little iota.  I found it to be laborious and I was creeped out by Snowman.  It's hard for me to read a book when the narrator is so sleazy--I just couldn't identify with him at all.  The book was extremely lengthy and detailed and I have no plans of reading the others in the trilogy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment