Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

A Man's Best Friend....or Boy....or Anybody!

Diary of a Wimpy Kid #4:  Dog Days by Jeff Kinney

Graphic Novel

Greg Heffley is addictive.  As soon as I finish one book, I want to immediately start the next one.  Every time he opens his mouth (or pen), I think "Yes!  That's exactly what I was thinking!"  (Which probably doesn't say much for my mature sense of humor.)

The 'dog days' of the title refers to the dog days of Greg's summer vacation.  Grey wants to spend his summer indoors by the TV but his mom has other plans.  Unfortunately, the family has no money so the annual summer family vacation turns into a 'staycation' at the local pool.

My favorite part is when Greg starts going to the country club with his best friend Rowly.  He orders dozens of drinks and food stuffs and charges it all to Rowley's dad...while complaining about the service.  So funny!  To pay off Rowley's dad, Rowley and Greg try and start a lawn service.  Greg isn't much for physical labor so the business doesn't last very long but has some hilarious consequences.  The best graphics are the portrayals of the hairy men when Greg has to walk through the YMCA shower room.  The funniest part is when the family accidentally leaves mom at a gas station.  Greg's brothers and the rest of the family are all back--and all still as strange.  In this family, Greg is the best of the bunch.

These books do not have to be read in order so jump in anywhere.  But, whatever you, jump all the way in with a big belly flop.  Greg is a hero to really get behind--he is so very fallible, so very human.  He says things I wish I could and does things I've thought about--but my good sense stopped me.  These books are really best for reluctant teen or adolescent readers, though, so don't let the comics make you think it's a little kids read.

No comments:

Post a Comment