Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Ice-Fell in Love with This One

Icefall by Matthew Kirby

Adolescent Fantasy

This is my second book by Matthew Kirby.  I loathed his first one but am so glad I took another chance on this author because I loved this one!  I felt right away as if the main character really existed, as if I were the main character.  She trapped me in her viewpoint, in her story, and wouldn't let me go!

Solveig and her siblings are the children and heirs of a very powerful Viking king.  When the king goes to war, he decides to hide his children in a frozen wasteland so the enemy will never find them.  The conditions are harsh and brutal, but if they aren't rescued before the winter season, the sea will freeze over.  Then, the harsh conditions will turn deadly with starvation and frigid temperatures for months. 

Solveig has other problems, though, as the middle child and second daughter of a king.  Her older sister is beautiful and many vie to claim her hand. Solveig's younger brother will be king one day.  Solveig feels plain and unimportant until the court skald (storyteller) awakens in her a passion for stories.

And, on top of all that, there seems to be a traitor who is sabotaging their effort to survive.

I loved everything about this book-the adventure, the mystery, but, most of all, the haunting bravery of Solveig.  What a beautiful treatment of the empowerment of young women.  I loved Solveig.....and I miss her.  I am hopeful there might be another story about her one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment