Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

I Like Her Movie Version Better

The Official Book Club Selection:  A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin by Kathy Griffin

Humor/Memoir

I will begin by saying I am not a huge Kathy Griffin fan.  I mean, I love her humor but the tone of her voice just wears me down after awhile so I thought a comedy book of hers might be just the ticket.   That was my mistake because it is not a book of comedy.  It is a memoir full of heartbreak and wisdom and some darn good chuckles.

This book was more biographic in nature rather than comedic, as she discusses her entire life.

I didn't hate this book but I didn't love it, either.  One thing I could not stand was the constant and repetitive name-dropping.  She says in the book that she is really well-known for it.  She makes it seem like an endearing quality, but it's not.  It would be one thing if she had a story to go with the name but sometimes it's more like she just saw a celebrity at some function.  At this point in her career, she is actually more famous than some of the people she's name-dropping about.  They should be name-dropping her!  I have never seen her TV show and don't want to.  I abhor reality TV and that lifestyle so this is probably a book I should never have picked up in the first place.

She seems to be trying too hard to be awesome, but she doesn't need to.  Underneath all her flash, she genuinely seems like she might be an awesome person.  I wonder if anyone will ever find out.  She is definitely someone I would like to hang out with--for an evening.

The most I can say is that I like Kathy Griffin more as a person, and maybe less as a celebrity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment