Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Not What I Expected

100 Cupboards: Book One by ND Wilson

Adolescent Fantasy

I don't know why I thought this book was going to be scary--the cover, perhaps?  But, the book isn't scary at all; I would label is as light horror, if that.  It had a strange and uncomfortable feel to it.  I didn't like it at first but I think that is because my expectations were so different from what I got.  After that initial shock, I got used to where the book was going, I started to like it.

Henry's parents have disappeared and he has to go live with distant relatives he doesn't really know in Kansas.  Henry is a bit of an odd bird.  He doesn't really miss or even remember his parents.  While there, Henry finally starts to feel like he might belong to this family.  While staying in the upstairs attic bedroom, he awakens to find plaster in his hair......and a tiny door.  It is one of 100 doors, which were called 'cupboards'.  Each door opens to another world, another dimension and space entirely.  Some of these doors feel like a grand adventure; others feel very malevolent.  Henry knows he shouldn't explore, but, really, who could resist such a temptation?

This book is the first one is a series and they must be read in order.  This first book doesn't actually have a true ending and had a 'to be continued' feel to it.  In addition to the adventure, there's also an unresolved mystery with Henry that continues.  I liked it but I don't know if I'm going to continue with it. Maybe if I come across it, but I wont' seek it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment