Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Charmer

One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

Adolescent Fiction for Girls

I  knew I was in trouble when I started tearing up on page 86.  By page 138, I was in full waterworks and I was just a weepy mess the last five chapter.

Carley is a heart breaker of a character.  Try to resist falling for this charmer; I dare you! 

Carley's life with her mother has always been a burden, but when it turns dark and dangerous, Carley is removed from her mother's guardianship and placed in foster care.  Carley has no intention of letting her guard down ever again, but the Murphys have a way of getting under her skin.  Soon, Carley is certain that a home with the Murphys is exactly what she needs.  She's a perfect fit for them and vice-versa. Naturally, her mother would pick this exact moment to want her back. What if Carley doesn't want to go back?  Shouldn't she get a choice?  And, would she really choose this new family over her old one?

There is so much to love with this book.  It's easily one that could be read again and again.  Carley's angst is one that will break your heart.  There are no easy decision and I like that the author didn't provide an easy escape.  Life is often like that, especially for kids in these types of situations. 

I found that some of my students, girls with difficult and tragic home situations really gravitated towards this book.  It would be a good bibliotherapy for young people dealing with abuse, foster care and adoption situations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment