Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Loved It!

Cinder:  The Lunar Chronicles #1 by Marissa Meyer

Fairy-Retelling/Dystopian

I didn't expect to love this book as much as I did.  When I finished it, I rushed to get the next one in the series but it wasn't out yet!  I yelled loudly!  How in the world could I wait to see what happens next?!?!

This book is so unique.  It has a dystopian setting combined with steampunk elements and a fairy tale retelling.  A lot going on but it works so well.  This is a futuristic world where there are Earthlings and Lunar people and if you leg doesn't work, you can just replace it with a robotic one.  But, of course, future Earth isn't a paradise.  Humans are still humans after all, with prejudices and failures.

The main character, Cinder, is a cyborg mechanic living as a slave to her stepmother and stepsisters, considered less than human because of her robotic parts.  She is working in her shop when Prince Kai comes along and the two strike up a friendship--with sparks!

Naturally, there is danger, intrigue, and romance, more than rival Disney's retelling of the classic tale.  The character of Cinder is captivating and, even though you know the fairy tale twists, you will find yourself crying out at the unfairness of it all.

This was definitely one of my favorite reads of the year.  There were surprises at every turn.  I loved that Cinder was a cyborg, and yet she was so approachable and real.  I could see myself totally hanging out with her.  This plot line is a cliff-hanger and this is NOT a story that comes close to ending on the last page.  Once you start this series, you'll have to finish it.  This is a great way to introduce those dated fairy tales to our modern techno-readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment