Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Surprise

The Savage Fortress by Sarwat Chadda

Adolescent Fiction/Adventure/Fantasy

I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did, but I loved it!  This is the first book (I think) in the Ash Mistry chronicles and definitely a series I will keep reading.

Ash and his sister have been on vacation, visiting their aunt and uncle in their native India.  Ash has been bored to tears.  He is more of a Western boy and misses his TV, music videos, and junk food.  Looking at temples has bored him out of his skull.  When Ash discovers an ancient artifact at one of his uncle's dig sites, his boring vacation turns into a life and death adventure.  Ash gets in touch with his roots really quickly when a legion of Indian gods and goddesses come after him, determined to retrieve the artifact.  One of my new favorite characters is Parvati, a snake goddess.  I hope she returns in the second one.

What I loved most about this book was the Indian mythology.  Rick Riordan has cornered the market on Greek, Roman, and Egyptian mythology, but that was something different.  So unique!  Indian mythology is full of amazing gods and goddesses like I've never seen before and monsters that will make your head spin.  It has created in me a strong desire to learn more about this culture.  The book is full of excitement and adventure--a great read for adolescents.

No comments:

Post a Comment