Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Monday, January 5, 2015

Delights and a Disappointment--The Lost Heroes#2: The Son of Neptune

The Lost Heroes #2:  The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

I am both delighted and disappointed with this second installment in The Lost Heroes series.

First, my delights: Percy Jackson is back! I have missed this plucky, all-too-human demigod. After reading the first in the series, I was afraid we had seen the last of Percy and his adventures. But, he's back with more exciting thrills as he loses his memory, starts a new prophecy, and tries to save the world-again. That "again" is a compliment, not a put-down. There isn't another hero I would rather read about. Riordan is absolutely at his best in this one--full of more mythological creatures, more riddles and more fun. I am truly hooked on this series and already have the next three waiting in my queue to read. What's not to love?

Now, for my disappoints: where in the world is Jason Grace? While I truly love a good Percy yarn, I actually liked Jason better. Perhaps it's the war-mongering Roman in me but I was even more excited by the possibility of a new hero to follow. He isn't anywhere in this book. It's not much of a disappointment, though, as this story was excellent. Hopefully, he'll be in the next book, working with Percy--the best of both worlds!

No comments:

Post a Comment