Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

New Orleans Mystery

Tin Roof Blowdown: A Dave Robicheaux Novel by James Lee Burke
(Adult Mystery)

Books about the Deep South are some of my most favorite to read--the heat and humidity always seem to just seep right through the pages with their passion and longing and this book is no exception.

Dave Robicheaux is a Louisiana police detective trying to sort out a murder, a burglary and a variety of other crimes that are somehow connected.  As Dave is trying to sort through the mess, evil comes into his own home and threatens his best friend, bail bondsman Clete, and adopted daughter.  This book was the 17th in the series but I really didn't feel like I was missing anything. 

The book is set during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.  While I have read many books about this disaster as a focus or even setting, none made the horror of the crime spree aftermath so very real. The description of the destruction of New Orleans is what struck me most strongly about this book.  It seemed to read like a tragedy, almost an ode, to a grand, beautiful lady whose prime time had somehow been robbed of her before her time.

 It was a police/procedural mystery that felt as if I were riding right along in Dave's cruiser.  It's so realistic and gritty you can feel the sand and dirt swirling around in your brain.  The mystery is full of sharp twists and turns and while sometimes these books are too technical for me, this one fit just right.
And, just when you think you know who did it, you find out you didn't even know what 'it' is! 

I always love to discover a new author and a new detective to fall for--Dave Robicheaux is now on my "Most Wanted List"--I suppose I've have to go back and read all 16 before and the others since!  A small price to pay for a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment