Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Unremarkable

The Alyx Rayer Chronicles #1:  Marked for Vengeance by S.J. Pierce

Fantasy

There are some things I like about this book.  I really liked the character of Alyx.  I found her to be approachable and realistic, even though she is some sort of paranormal creature.  She is a character I could follow and relate to.  I also really liked her fixation on the person she is supposed to be guarding.  She is completely captivated and obsessed with Isaac.  I loved this part of the book--the excitement building until they meet.

I also really liked the premise of the story.  The idea of a guardian angel having to work for salvation and then falling in love with their 'mark', those they are destined to shield and protect.

However, I pretty much hated everything else about this book.  The ending was one of the worst I've ever read.  The whole thing just stopped right in the middle of the action.  It felt more like part of a story, not just the first book in a series.

The plot also lost me about half-way through.  It turned very unbelievable and coincidental.  Alyx's 'human' best friend turns out to be another guardian angel assigned to watch Isaac's son and neither of them knew it.  What are the chances (even in fantasy)?  It was too much of a stretch for this reader. 

And, while I liked Alyx as a faker human, she only felt fake when it was time for her to show her true identity as a guardian angel.  She seemed shocked by the whole thing even though she's supposedly done it before.

In all, I won't be continuing the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment