Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Just Bought All His Books

Burial Ground by Michael McBride

Thriller

I absolutely loved this book!  It ticked all the boxes for me as a thriller/adventure book and was much better than I thought it would be.  It was so good that, after reading it, I went straight out and bought all the author's other books.  It was a cheap Kindle download and definitely worth even a $10 read (how I rate Kindle books....books I am willing or unwilling to spend the money on).

This book had me with the blurb on the back--steaming mountain jungles of Peru, hints of a lost civilization, a missing archaeologist, an ancient treasure.  How could I lose?  I didn't!  What I really loved was that the author didn't sacrifice character for plot.  It was a very well-rounded book, in that, all parts were good!

The story is told from several main characters, most of whom don't make it to the end, but I'm not saying who. Of course, the coup de grace was the ancient enemy unleashed into our modern world, a monster that is all to easy to believe in.  The characters were all so believable, not like stock, cardboard characters at all.  The plot develops because of their unique personalities, exactly like a plot should.  The writing makes you feel as if you were right there in the jungle, struggling to stay alive.  Why in the world is this author not more famous??  This is definitely on par with the New York Times bestsellers I usually read.

No comments:

Post a Comment