Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Not Redeemable

Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Teen Paranormal Romance

This is the finale to the Beautiful Creatures series, a series I'm glad is over.  It never really lived up to the promise of the first book, although I would say this one was probably the second best in the series.  I really feel as if the authors could have skipped books two and three and made this one next.

The cliffhanger from the last book has Ethan jumping off the town's water tower.  But, since there's a new book, there must be more to the story.  And, there is.  Ethan discovers that, contrary to what he thought when he flung himself off the tower, he wasn't really supposed to have died, and he restores the balance of the worlds.  Again.

I will say I did not see the final twist coming--which was pretty cool.  There were a lot of surprises and twists I just didn't expect.  I liked the plot of the story much better than the characters.  I would love to read a series about John and the young librarian.  I started liking these two and Link and Ripley so much more than Ethan and Lena, who are just so depressing and whiny.  I just felt like the characters didn't change at all and I never really understood why the two main characters loved one another.  "Just because" is too immature a reason for long-lasting love, but that seemed to be the case.  I also find it interesting that the whole story was told from a male perspective, Ethan, but the book is so obviously a book for females.  If you love paranormal romance, you'll probably like these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment