Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2015

A Witch with Potential: The Coven Series #1: White Witch by Trish Milburn

The Coven Series #1:  White Witch by Trish Milburn

Young Adult Paranormal Fantasy

I didn't really expect to like this book quite as much as I did.  I admit to being something of a "judge a book by its cover" reader and I was totally turned off by the cover.  It looked amateurish.  I know, I know, I shouldn't judge...but I do.

I expected a semi-good read with nothing really new to pique my interest.  But, I am delighted to report I was wrong.  The story started off a bit rocky (it shot out off the gate too quickly and with too little background explanation), but I soon found myself really involved in it and had a hard time putting it down. 

In it, the main character Jax has run away from her witch coven, determined to live life on her own terms and without her powers, wanting nothing more than to be a normal teen.  She knows this means there's a price on her head but she's willing to risk it all for her freedom.  Then, she meets Keller, a witch hunter who also happens to go to her school and, of course, she can't help falling for him.  (There's always something about a tall guy with a weapon, isn't there?!?)  Along the way, Jax makes friends, gets bullied by the popular girls, and discovers parts of her past weren't all that bad.

Really, not a bad read.  I feel that young adult girls, who are the target audience for this book, will like it just fine.  It's a fast read that focuses on action and romance with lots of kissing.  For me, though, I wish the author had slowed the story down a bit.  It would have been much stronger with more explanations of....well, just about everything.  For all that, I will be checking out the second in the series and hope to learn more about the main character there.

No comments:

Post a Comment