Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Friday, January 9, 2015

Tick Tock, Just Watching the Clock: Tick Tock by Dean Koontz

Tick Tock by Dean Koontz

Paranormal Romantic Horror Thriller

Fortunately, this wasn't my first Dean Koontz book.  If it were, it would be my first...and my last.  Normally, I can count on Koontz to provide me with a chilling story, a taut plot, and unforgettable characters.  Now, I just want to forget this whole thing.

By his own admission in the introduction, Koontz wanted to do something different with this book.  He sought to meld together a variety of genres and write a light-hearted, romantic, horror story.  If that sounds a bit strange, that's the perfect explanation of this book.  Just strange.

Tommy Phan is a first-generation American, trying desperately to forget his Vietnamese heritage. He buys a Corvette and goes home to find a doll on his porch.  The doll turns out to be a demon that tries to kill him.  He tries to escape, wrecks his Corvette, and is rescued by a waitress with paranormal powers.

A bizarre plot sequence.  The mix in genres was unsettling to me and the book never really got any better than just "okay".  Because I know what a master Koontz is, I'll have to research better and not read any more of his literary experiments.  "Tick Tock", for me, meant watching the clock drag by as I tried to finish this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment