Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

A Reading Stalker: Jack Reacher #4 Running Blind by Lee Childs

Jack Reacher #4:  Running Blind by Lee Child

Mystery/Thriller

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Hollywood filmmakers decided to start the Jack Reacher series so far in (the movie was book #9, I believe).  This installment, book #4 was the best one yet and was definitely worthy of a film make.

I love the Jack Reacher series and my love for him (I mean the book!) just grows and grows with each new book I read.  Jack is a perfect main character--enigmatic, tall, handsome, free of troublesome baggage from his past, and a genius.  Real swoon-worthy material.  (Again, I am clearly speaking of the character.  I know Jack is not a real man.  I cannot be in love with him because that would be weird.  Because he isn't real.  Right?)

In this installment, Jack has been arrested for the serial killing of several women who he had once helped as an MP.  Not far into the nightmare, he discovers the FBI has no real interest in tagging the killings on him.  Instead, they want to use him to find out who the real killer is.  This is, by far, the best Reacher yet and one of the best mysteries I've ever read.  Reacher is one step behind the killer all the way to the end of the book and almost doesn't get his man. (See, I'm not in fictional love because if I were I would wax on and on about how great he is.) I loved watching him stumble and falter; I loved that he was wrong; and, I loved following the train of his thoughts because, even though flawed, they were so much more quick and clever than mine.  This book is a roller-coaster of suspense and intrigue all the way through.

Okay, I admit it.  I'm definitely smitten with Reacher.  He is one detective I can't figure out.  I don't feel comfortable with him telling the story because he is so emotionally unattached to everything going on.  It drives me crazy!  But, the right kind of crazy because I'm definitely coming back for more.  I know I can expect Reacher to blow apart my expectations each time I pick him up.  That's the only way this guy is ever going to be predictable!

No comments:

Post a Comment