Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Enough with This Woman!: A Catskill Eagle by Robert Parker

Spenser #12:  A Catskill Eagle by Robert Parker

Mystery

This was my least favorite Spenser yet.

It wasn't that the writing was subpar (which occasionally happens when successful authors rest on their laurels).  As always, Parker is a master with words and plot twists and characterization.  It wasn't that the story was boring or uneventful.  This one had me on the edge of my seat, just like all the others.  My major problem with this book is that I am starting to really dislike a minor character.  Seems petty, I know.

Yet...where is the Spenser I know and love?  He's yearning and hankering after Susan, again.  Wasn't it enough he tried to commit suicide in the last book by being shot, intentionally?  I can forgive that--who hasn't had a terrible heartbreak?  But, come one.  This time, he sacrificed his morals, his own life, and the life of Hawk (and others) to rescue this whiny, self-absorbed love interest.  Seriously,  I hope Parker kills her off soon.  I was so distracted by my growing dislike of her that it distracted from the book.

Regardless, I am addicted to Spenser so I will carry on.  (But, seriously, does she die or dump Spenser soon because that would really motivate me to read the series faster??)

No comments:

Post a Comment