Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Made My Brain Hurt

Old Loves Die Hard:  Mac Faraday Mysteries #2 by Lauren Carr

Mystery

I read the first installment in this mystery series several years ago and didn't remember much of the backstory.  Luckily, that didn't seem necessary.  I'm not sure why I had this on my TBR pile, but it didn't live up to any expectations that I'd placed on it.

Mac Faraday is a retired cop, recently wealthy, and trying to enjoy his new life with a new love.  His old life comes tearing back when his ex-wife reappears wanting to reconnect.  When Mac turns her down, she takes out her vengeance on an old lover and murders him, then someone has an accident herself.  Or, does she?  Once Mac starts on the case, anything about the murders are ordinary and it takes all his skill to figure out what happened.

Overall, this wasn't a bad book and it wasn't a bad mystery.  My major problem with it is that is was so convoluted.  There were so many characters and minor characters and plot twists and subplots, I literally had to start writing things down so I could even figure out who was talking in the story!  While I don't mind a bit of brain work with my mysteries, this one just gave me a headache.  By the end, I didn't really even care who did it or why, I just wanted it to be over.  I won't be adding Mac Faraday #3 to my TBR list, so we'll part ways here.

No comments:

Post a Comment