Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Not Like Other McBrides: The Coyote by Michael McBride

The Coyote by Michael McBride

Psychological Thriller/Mystery

This psychological thriller wasn't what I expected.  I've read other books by this author and was counting on a paranormal/sci-fi type of read.  Those are my favorite kind of reads, so I was a bit disappointed this wasn't in that genre.

However, for all that, it was still a pretty good read.  In it, FBI agent Lukas Walker has been sent to his ancestral Native American reservation to investigate what may be a serial killer.  The more he investigates, the closer he gets to the killer...and the skeletons in his own family closet.  The plot is a good one and will keep readers skipping right along.  It is a bit bloody, but I've never read anything about a serial killer that wasn't.  I did like the character of Lukas and I thought the family dynamics at play were really fascinating.

All in all, a solid read from a writer who can't be pigeon-holed.  A huge bonus for me:  there was a novella in the back, free, by the same author that I absolutely loved!  That story, The Calm Before the Swarm, is more indicative of the kind of writing I had expected.  McBride remains an author I'll pick and read and know I'm getting a good story from.

No comments:

Post a Comment