Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I Wanted To Love It

Immortal by Gillian Shields
(Young Adult Paranormal Romance)

Young adult paranormal romance is my dirty little secret.  I feel like I shouldn't read it seeing as how I'm over 40 and not a creature of the night.  Why do I love it?  Who knows, but I do.  And I soooooooooooo wanted to love this.  It had all the earmarks of a I book I would love.....but I just didn't.

It is a story of a young girl named Evie who is sent on a scholarship to a boarding school, Wyldcliffe.  Her mother drowned when she was just a baby and her father is in the army, far away.  Typical tragic heroine.

On her first day, she has an encounter with a dark stranger.  He moves her in strange ways, both figuratively and literally.  When he shows up a few days later, she is soon swept up in a love affair she feel powerless to control and begins a secret relationship with him. He is very mysterious and has many rules she has to follow if she wants to continue their relationship.  She sees him only at night and he won't tell her about his past.  They can't tell anyone about their relationship and they can't leave Wyldcliffe.  Typical tragic love.

The school affects Evie is weird ways.She has a strong connection to her ancestors that own a nearby house and is seeing things and hearing voices.  Typical setting.

Is it too typical?

I don't know.  I just know I didn't love it.  I did enjoy some parts of it like the supernatural aspect but I never truly understood what the two lovers saw in one another and why they were so dedicated to their love.  Also, the ending was very unsatisfying, even for a book in a series.

Overall, disappointing and not the YA paranormal romance fix I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment