Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Not the Biblical or Mythological Thriller I Wanted It To Be: Angelology by Danielle Trussoni

Angelology #1: Angelology by Danielle Trussoni

Fantasy/Alternate History

When I first heard about this book, I was hooked.  Stories of the paranormal have always fascinated me and I gravitate towards any books that hint at Biblical history and/or mystery.  When that subject is combined with the paranormal, in this case angels, I'm hooked.

In the book, Evangeline is a young nun who discovers her convent is hiding a dangerous and mind-shattering secret about a sect of angels who not only live on Earth, but control most of its riches.  Her mother and grandmother also figure in the story and the book turns out to be an inter-generational read, skipping along bloodlines while a team of angelologists, angel investigators, rush to find a hidden talisman that has the power to destroy or save mankind and angelkind.

Unfortunately, my fantasy of a great book didn't live up to the reality of my read.  First, I have to say that the writing in the book is masterful.  Trussoni can indeed weave a spell with words and I found myself reading pages and pages of lush, beautiful descriptions of faraway places and dusty historical lore.  What was missing, though, was emotion.  I found the narrators in the book, there are at least two as well as a variety of people who give their points of view, to be extremely unemotional about all of the miraculous events.  When common, ordinary people experienced the unreality of an angel revealing himself, they merely shrugged and kept on going with the conversation.  Seriously, not even an exclamation point?  I found this to be extremely off-putting and it made it impossible to connect with anyone from the story.  What should have been a story of love and lust and fire and brimstone and redemption left me rather cold.  Trussoni's style is so masterful, though, that I did rather enjoy most of the read.  I'm interested to see how the story might end...there is a sequel.  Overall, unless you're just really into voluminous tomes on angels, you might be better

No comments:

Post a Comment