Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Friday, June 5, 2015

Fun, Mystery, Adventure

Death of a Kingfisher:  Hamish Macbeth #28 by M.C. Beaton

English Mystery

This is my second Hamish Macbeth mystery and the 28th in the series. I'm starting to count myself a true fan, even though I'm not really reading them in order. I like them so much, I'll probably go back to #1 and start properly. It isn't complicated to follow, but there are some romantic allusions I'd like to have the backstory too because Hamish just seems so irritated by his exes.

In this story, a Kingfisher bird is found hanged and its nest and young are destroyed and poisoned. While detecting that crime, other crimes start popping up all over town and soon Hamish is on the trail of a thief, birdkiller, and murderer. The plot is complicated by a love interest for Hamish, one he should ignore because she's probably a criminal. Hamish is unable to control his urges, though, and flits through the book bouncing from one unpleasant feminine encounter after another.

These are light-hearted, fun mysteries to read (well, except for the murders, of course). I'm quite a fan of Hamish. He reminds me a bit of Don Knotts's character Barney Fife in "The Andy Griffith Show". Hamish is a bit of a goof, although he does seem to have a bit more common sense and detective prowess. Watching him bumble along and get irritate and then irritate those around him is so funny. M.C. Beaton has never disappointed and I'm delighted to follow her on another mysterious, humorous adventure series

No comments:

Post a Comment