Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

And Sometimes You Just Don't Like a Book

The Hollows:  Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

Adult Paranormal

My interest in this book ended way before the book itself.  It was much too long!  And, not enough paranormal stuff happened and it felt as if I were walking in on the middle and was there a book before this one---whew!  My dislikes are wearing me out.

Rachel Moran is a witch and a bounty hunter.  It's her job to track down paranormal criminals in Cincinnati.  When Rachel gets tired of her employer's rules, she quits....and makes herself a marked target.  Only Ivy, a powerful bounty hunter and vampire, can protect her.

More dislikes.  Sigh.  The main character wasn't very likable.  I didn't connect with her or understand her motivations at all and she certainly didn't try to explain herself to the reader.  The sexual tension between Ivy and Rachel was......weird.  Is Ivy gay?  Is Rachel?  I don't particularly care either way but TELL ME!

Still, I will probably read the second in the series just to see if the attempt is better.  Plus, I did like Ivy.  (I have a thing for vampires and she has some promise.)

No comments:

Post a Comment