Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Not As Good As I Expected

Under the Tuscan Sun:  At Home in Italy by Frances Mayes

Travel/Foodie-Logue

This is the food memoir that started it all!  But................I didn't like it as well as I have liked some others in the genre.  It wasn't much of an adventure,but more a slow discovery of a vacation turned into a half-life.  Plus, most of those recipes looked HARD (I'm whining here!).  Most of them have ingredients you couldn't easily find in the US and can't make.

Mayes and her partner purchased a home in Tuscany and spend half the year there, fixing it up and, well, mostly eating!

The descriptions of rural Italian life were amazing and I, more than once, wanted to chuck my hum-drum existence and light out for Tuscany.  The descriptions of the countryside and towns are lush and often hilarious.  I found it hard to connect with the book, though.  It seemed to distant to me, too unrealistic and I feel the author didn't try very hard to connect with the reader.  In the end, it seemed more life an illusive dream or a peep at a lifestyle rather than biting into something with full flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment