Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fun Fantasy Mystery!

Aunt Dimity and The Village Witch by Nancy Atherton

Paranormal Mystery

It's hard to believe this is the 17th book in a series I've never even heard of!  Where have you been all my life, Aunt Dimity?  And, why is your snoozy little English village so full of murder and mayhem?

I love English mysteries and this one is in my very favorite setting--the Cotswolds.  I've never been there but have read so much about it.  Mostly in mysteries which makes me wonder what it really is like.....definitely on my to-visit list.

For the plot:  To an outsider, Lori's life must look completely normal.  She is mother to twins; her husband is a local attorney; she drinks afternoon tea and hangs out with the vicar's wife.  Yet no one knows that at night she cozies up to a book--and communicates with her dead 'aunt'!  That was quite a surprise and quite a unique twist. 

A new neighbor is moving in and all the village gossips are atwitter.  Someone discovers she is a famous artist and hiding her identity becomes very important, especially when the town discovers the new neighbor is there to solve a very old mystery.

Even though it was the 17th installment with Aunt Dimity, a diary-writing ghost, I didn't feel lost.  I felt like part of the village right away.  Now, I can't wait to travel back and start at number one and get to know the village properly.  This fun and cozy mystery was well-written and quirky; not a gripping detective novel.  Overall, though, a new series (at least for me!) and one I will be investigating further.

No comments:

Post a Comment