Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Loved It!

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Dystopian/Apocalyptic/Futuristic Fiction

I didn't really expect to love this book, but I did. 

I love that the main character, Beatrice (Trice) has more promise than she can see; I love that others see her differently than she sees herself; I love that she flings herself into things with abandon and damn the consequences; I love that her inner core is built of solid strength and she constantly amazes others with this trait.

In this futuristic world (which takes place in Chicago-very cool!), society is divided into five different factions.  1. Candor (Honesty) 2. Abnegation (Selflessness) 3. Dauntless (Bravery) Amity (Peace) 5. Erudite (Knowledge).  At sixteen years of age, all citizens must take a test to see which faction they are ideally suited for.  If Trice does not choose Abnegation, her family's faction, she runs the risk of never seeing them again.  But can she spend her lifetime living a lie?

Trice's choice shocks everyone, even herself-especially when she realizes that failing her new factions' initiation could mean her death.  She finds herself harboring secrets that can harm her family and herself and finds a soul mate in Four, if only he weren't training others to kill her!

I just loved this main character.  She is feisty and plucky and so very determined to find her own path.  And, Four is a new fictional heartthrob! 

This is one of the top 5 dystopian series, I've read and I can't wait to start the next one.  I love a book I can't predict!

No comments:

Post a Comment