Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

More Than a Ghost Story

The Ghost of Graylock by Dan Poblocki

Adolescent Ghost Story

I really like this author.  Both books of his I've read have been creative, unique and very creepy!  I liked this one better than the first one, though, so I hope that's a trend that will continue.

When their parents separate, Neil and Bree are sent to stay with two strangers, their distant old aunts in a small town in upstate New York.  When Neil hears of the local haunted hospital, he has to see it for himself.  It's just as bad as the rumors and Neil is sure it's haunted after what happens to him there.  When he leaves, he has no idea a ghost would follow him home, a ghost who seems intent on harming Neil and his sister.  Can this ghost be responsible for the weird murders that happened at the hospital or is the ghost someone who was murdered there?  Neil and Bree won't be left in peace until they find out.

This was such a perfect setting for a ghost story--an abandoned mental asylum for teens.  It was described as a huge Gothic structure with gates, fences, clinging vines, a black pond and set within a forest.  It reminded me of a 'real' haunted hospital I have gone to which made the read even eerier.

This book got so creepy that I decided I could only read it during the day.  Reading it at night gave me the willies and the chills.  This was such a classic ghost story that only relied on the writing to make it full-on horror--those are so rare and so delightful to read.  I can say I never saw the ending coming.  Honestly, I was probably too frightened to even try and figure out there was another mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment