Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hard to Review

Blood on the Tracks by Cecelia Holland

Nonfiction

I don't know how to review this because I don't exactly know what it is about...some type of union or labor uprising that involved trains.  And, I hate that because I love uprisings and overthrow of 'the man', especially when it is based on a true story!

Really, I'm sure this was based on an important topics and I don't mean to be so blithely shrugging away the death of innocent people but the writing and details were so convoluted that I felt like I was caught in a downpour of word drops without an umbrella. 

I was attracted to this Kindle single because of the topic of history.  This story concerns The Great Railroad Strike of 1877.  I actually had to go back and look things up ON THE INTERNET (gasp!) because I learned so little from this book.  Apparently, during the depression, the owners of the four biggest railroads in NY state cut workers' salaries by 10% and tried to break the unions while raking in huge profits.  Sound similar to today?  History does have a way of repeating itself.

I think this is an important topic but felt absolutely no connection to the story and just couldn't wait for it to be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment