Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Better Than #2

Beautiful Chaos:  Beautiful Creatures #3 by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Paranormal Romance

I definitely liked this one better than the second one in the series, but not quite as good as the first one. A typical plight for me.  Sigh.

Lena and Ethan are back together and while I should be glad, their whiny-ness from the last book has soured me a bit on their romance.  I don't particularly think they should be together anymore.  They have some serious personal issues that each need to work on.  Their relationship just seems toxic to me.

Link is quickly becoming my new favorite character and his romance with Ridley, the ex-siren, is the one I want to know more about.  It is so much more interesting than these other two wet blankets.

The story is hot--a record drought has hit the area and it's only one sign that Lena's supernatural world is at odds with Ethan's normal one.  And, while Ethan should be happy that he has Lena back, some things just don't feel the same.  He's forgetting things--really important things--and Amma looks and treats him differently, almost desperately.  The ending just make you long for the next one, the end of the series.

The book felt, overall, out of control.  It seemed as if no one had any answers and were just throwing themselves into dozens of different mini-plots.  Which ones are important?  All of them?  Any of them?  It almost seemed as if this book wasn't necessary.  It felt more like a diversion than a trip on the Plot Road to Resolution.  Aptly names book-chaos, indeed.

Still, it's a story I like.  It feels like a kudzu vine that has trapped me in and I have to know how it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment