Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Zombies: The New Vampire

Deck Z:  The Titanic. Unsinkable.  Undead. by Chris Pauls and Matt Solomon

Paranormal History

Just when I think I've read every book there is about the Titanic and that nothing else interesting can happen, along comes this book.

 A scientist, afraid the Germans will use his plague research in war, steals it and escapes.  Of course, the Germany military pursues him. When the zombie virus gets loose on the Titanic, Capt. Edward Smith only has a limited time to contain it--or doom everyone on board.  It must be contained before it can be allowed to reach New York City, so the clock is ticking.  There is so much going on in this story! 

With a zombie book, I was expecting something similar to other zombie books or movies and dreading that it would be cheesy--but it wasn't.  It was very cleverly done and really captured my imagination.  Better still, the authors made it seem plausible!  I loved the scientific aspect of it.  I loved how the authors connected it to a secret WWII experiment.  It felt very Dr. Frankenstein-ish.  My only real complaint--and what kept this book from being really great--is the lack of a character I could sink my teeth into (I mean that in a totally non-zombie way, of course!).  The main character was never really more than 'the scientist' to me.  This was definitely a book of complete action. It's also really hard to pin down an audience for this.  It was marketed in an adolescent book fair but the lack of a young main character makes me doubtful.

No comments:

Post a Comment