Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

I Shall Never Watch the Movie

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

Classic Fiction

I was a novice when I read this.  I have never seen the movie nor have I ever read anything by Capote before.  My only reference to the story was Audrey Hepburn being very stylish in commercials and film bits. So, my idea of the main character was of a very stylish and hip young woman, richly dressed and shopping for jewelry.

The film bits are showing the wrong parts, I'm thinking.  That's really why I didn't read the book before--I just didn't want to read about a socialite shopping or whatever socialites do and consider important.  However, Holly Golightly is such a tragic character, a bit of a hussy and certainly a gold digger extraordinaire.  Normally, I would also find such characters abhorrent, but Golightly is so very sad and broken and has dressed the whole thing over in Tiffany-esque style.  Like one of those diamonds, she took the cracked rock of her life and shined it up to dazzle the world with brilliance.  One really can't help but admire her.  I am a bit like the poor blokes in the book who fell in love with her without knowing it, feel better for having met her and feel a bit sad she left my life so soon.  What a delightful feeling!

I highly recommend the book and shall never, ever watch the movie.  I do love Capote's character so much and never want to hear a tarnishment of such a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment