Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Not My Favorite, But Still Pretty Good

The Rise of Nine:  Lorien Legacies #3 by Pittacus Lore

Young Adult Paranormal Fantasy

I love this series and was so excited to get this installment, then I was so disappointed when I was reading it!  It started off gangbusters just like the other two, then just got worse as the book went along.

In this, book three of the series and you absolutely have to read them in order, John is desperate to rescue Sam, his best friend, who was captured in the last book by the Mogadorians, an evil and brutal alien race.  Because John is so focused on Sam, he has no time for his romantic aspirations with Sarah or Number Five.  Pity, as those were some of my favorite parts of the last book.  I think this is the reason I disliked this one so much.

My favorite past of this book and my new favorite character in this series is Number Nine.  He can kick some serious butt and he makes John look like a whining wuss.  Plus, he's funny and fallible and so very easy to root for.  I also really liked the new character Number Eight, whom humans believe to be a reincarnated Vishnu, an Indian God.  He was fascinating and I like the connection between him and Number Seven, Marina. As you can tell, there are a lot of new characters being introduced, maybe too many.

One of the things I loved about the previous books was the terrific characterization and the focus on the relationships between the characters.  This book had none of this.  The one was total battle and fighting and was definitely my least favorite one in the series so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment