Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Fab Five

Stephanie Plum #5:  High Five by Janet Evanovitch

Mystery/Humor

I accidentally read this one before #4 so I was out of the loop on a lot of stuff.  #4 must have been a really busy book!  I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the others and wonder if it is because I missed a book or if the series is starting to pale.  I hate when that happens!

In this installment of Stephanie's crazy life, Uncle Fred is missing and Stephanie is put on the case.  It's not her favorite uncle and her aunt doesn't seem too upset.  Still, family is family.  Instead of finding Uncle Fred, Stephanie finds a garbage full of body parts and is, once again, up to her eyeballs in trouble (literally) and over her head. 

Stephanie is such a BAD bounty hunter.  She bumbles that job like everything else she bumbles up in her life.  She is like a blind fish in the ocean, bumping into things--some good (like food) and some bad (like sharks).  It's refreshing to see a murder mystery series where is the main character is actually a worse detective than me.  It gives me hope.

I disliked that there was less of Morelli since they seem to have broken up in book #4.  Pity-he is so conducive to those nice sparks between the two of them.  The plus side of less Morelli is more Ranger and I did enjoy that math equation.  Ranger seems to be taking more than a professional interest in his protegee.  I can't wait to see where that plot line goes.

The books are getting funnier.  I don't read these expecting deep symbolism or a character with great depth.  It's just good, fab fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment