Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Like Twilight, But With Wolves

Shiver:  The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1 by Maggie Stiefvater

Paranormal Romance


I did not like this as much as I wanted to.  I wanted to fall in love with it, to have it be my new addiction and it just wasn't.  But, I must say I did like it just fine.

When Grace was a small girl, she was attacked by wild wolves and taken into the woods to be eaten.  She was saved by one wolf, one with yellow eyes.  She watches for him every night, unafraid of the consequences.  Now in their teens, Grace meets a handsome boy with yellow eyes.  he feels so familiar to her.  Grace soon finds out why.  Sam, the yellow-eyed boy, is also the yellow-eyed wolf.  He's a werewolf who can only stay human as long as the weather is warm. When it turns cold outside, Sam's body, against his will, turns into a wolf.  He only has a short time to be with Grace before he turns into a wolf forever.

There is also another threat to their burgeoning romance--Sam is afraid this might be his last summer as a human.  It is harder and harder to change back and he feels the wolf taking him over completely.  Is it safe to be around Grace?  Is it smart?

The one thing I really didn't like about the book was the absolute clue-lessness of Grace's parents.  Sam practically lives in Grace's bedroom, sleeping with her every night and her parents were  none the wiser.  It felt so unbelievable to me and brought me out of the story.

I liked the plot and the writing was beautiful.  I felt the book gathered speed and momentum as it went along.  I will definitely be reading the next one--I just don't feel the need to rush and buy it right this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment