Rainer Maria Rilke

"Live a while in these books, learn from them what seems to you worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be repaid you a thousand and a thousand times, and however your life may turn,-it will, I am certain of it, run through the fabric of your growth as one of the most important threads among all the threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys."--Rainer Maia Rilke


Pages

Monday, February 23, 2015

A Great Read for Any Age: The Badger Knight by Kathryn Erskine

The Badger Knight by Kathryn Erskine

Historical Fiction/Adventure/Coming of Age

I just loved this book!  Everything about it was delightful.  The book itself was an art form--the cover was captivating and I would flip to it often, mesmerized by the play of colors on the pale cheeks of the boy.  The pages had that deckled edge that I love.  The front page of each chapter was unique and designed in such a way as to feel old and put the reader under a spell.

Lest you think I am shallow and only look at the outer appearances, I will also say the inward guts was might fine as well. The writing was funny, so funny. The historical time period was fascinating and one I wasn't necessarily familiar with.  I had to run to my computer often to check out references.  It had a smattering of history, adventure, morality, and love.

Adrian is an albino living during a time when such things are considered the work of the devil.  He has a father who dotes over him to the point of being overprotective; a family that sneers at him; and a best friend who defends him against the town bullies.  Although he's small for his size, he's big in spirit and wants to go and fight in the war against the Scots.  His father nixes the idea but that doesn't stop Adrian.  Away he goes on an adventure that is rife with scuffles and near misses and sweetness and heartache.

I see the book has already won some awards and rightly so! A great read for any age!

No comments:

Post a Comment